The holiday season is filled with festive cheer, giving to others and time spent with those we hold dear.
But, it’s also a time when many of us find ourselves rushing around to buy gifts, splurging on items or keeping the kids on school holidays occupied.
Here is some advice from the Cresta Shopping Centre Secure Shopping Safety Tips and Informed Customers handbook to stay safe this festive season:
- Always check that your car is locked before leaving it to guard against interference with your remote control through car-jamming devices.
Shopping with children
- Point out security guards so your children know where to get help if they get lost.
- Give your kids a book, toy or snack to keep them occupied when you have to wait in a line.
- Make sure your child doesn’t lean on the escalator handrail. The excess weight can slow the stairway down and throw passengers off balance.
- Lift toddlers on and off the step – shoes and boots with soft rubber soles have been known to slip into cracks between steps and the escalator wall.
When leaving a shopping centre
- Have your car keys in your hand before you get to your car. When you return to your car be aware of your surroundings.
- If you suspect you are being followed, do not drive directly home but go to the nearest police station.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day.