Cooler weather calls for hearty root vegetables and succulent meat dishes - paired with a spicy shiraz if you still have any stashed away!
TOKARA Chef Carolize Coetzee’s flavourful salt-baked beetroot is the perfect autumn comfort food.
The new TOKARA Shiraz 2018 vintage is well matched with Chef Carolize’s beetroot recipe, her seasonal take on carpaccio and an excellent side dish for game.
Beetroot is both rich and earthy with subtle sweetness. Caramelisation adds intense character for a perfect match with a full-bodied red such as Shiraz.
“The spiciness of the TOKARA Shiraz matches the anise flavours of the fennel in this stunning beetroot dish, accentuating the red fruit characteristics of this iconic Rhone grape,” adds winemaker Stuart Botha.
- 4 medium-sized whole beetroot
- 800g coarse salt
- 3 egg whites from extra-large eggs
- 500g cake flour
- 250ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Blend the salt and flour together in a food processor until fine.
- In a mixer with a dough hook, mix the flour mixture with the egg whites and water until a dough is formed.
- Wash and dry the unpeeled beetroot.
- Roll out the dough until 5mm in thickness. Cut into big enough pieces and wrap around each beetroot.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Break open the dough and remove the beetroot. Discard the baked dough.
- Peel the beetroot, then rinse and dry with paper towel.
- Cool and slice the remaining beetroot thinly.
Chef Carolize tops hers with raspberry, fennel, toasted walnuts and celery.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.