This delicious mushroom and cheese flatbread recipe is perfect for lunch with a salad, as a late afternoon snack before dinner time or as a delicious snack when you have guests over for a braai.
*Makes 2 large flatbreads
- 2 flatbreads – homemade or store bought
- 500g Portabellini mushrooms
- 1 large white onion, diced
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Olive oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
- 150g Bocconcini mozzarella
- Sundried tomatoes
- Fresh baby herbs and leaves
For the pesto:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 40g fresh basil leaves
- 40g fresh rocket
- 30g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
If you aren’t in a massive hurry to get lunch or dinner on the table, make the flatbread yourself.
Ingredients for flatbread
- 200g self-rising flour
- 250g full-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 pinch of salt
Method to make flatbread:
- In a bowl, mix together the yoghurt, flour and salt to form a dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface. Knead for a few minutes. Cut into 2 or 4 pieces depending on desired size. Cover with a dish cloth and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out each section of dough using plenty of flour to prevent sticking or tearing.
- Cook the flatbread in a dry hot griddle pan. Cook each side for 2 to 4 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
For the pesto:
Using a mortar and pestle, grind the garlic clove and teaspoon of sea salt into a purée. Scrape the garlic paste into a food processor for ease; add the basil, rocket, Parmesan and olive oil. Blitz until smooth. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and set aside.
To assemble the flatbreads:
- Sauté the diced onion with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt until gently caramelised. Slice the mushrooms and fry them in batches until golden brown. Add a few sprigs of thyme as you fry each batch. Season well with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and move the rack to the upper shelf.
- Brush the flatbreads with the basil pesto. Top each one with half of the mushroom mix. Rip the bocconcini mozzarella into pieces and scatter over the mushrooms. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the flatbread is golden brown.
- Top with pieces of sundried tomatoes, a few dollops of pesto and fresh baby leaves.
*Recipe courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.