Made with just ghee, chickpea flour and icing sugar, this chocolate chai chickpea fudge recipe is smooth, biscuity and so yummy.
- 300g ghee
- 300g chickpea flour
- 80g ground almonds
- 300g Natura Sugars Demerara Icing Sugar
- 165g full cream milk powder
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 20g cocoa powder
- 30g flaked almonds, toasted (optional)
- Line a 32cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place the ghee and the chickpea flour into a large non-stick frying pan. Braise on medium heat, for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until the colour starts to turn a light golden brown caramel. Remove from heat and add the ground almonds, icing sugar and milk powder then return to the heat and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture is a deep golden caramel colour.
- Stir in the spices and press half the mixture into the base of the cake tin.
- Mix the cocoa powder into the remainder of the chickpea mixture and pour the mixture on top of the previous layer.
- Smooth out the top then sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Refrigerate until set, then slice into thin pieces to serve.
Note from the chef:
If you would like to keep this recipe more traditional, one teaspoon of ground cardamom is all it really needs to be just perfect.
*Recipe by Kate from The Kate Tin
Win 1 of 2 Natura Sugars hampers, worth R400 each!
To enter, simply fill in the form below. Entries close 5 July 2017.
This competition is now closed.
Terms and Conditions
By signing up for this competition, you agree to receive the Living and Loving weekly newsletter. The winners will be chosen randomly from the entries of individuals that submitted their details on the competition form. Entries open to South African residents only. Competitions are not open to employees of CTP Caxton, sponsors, their immediate families and agencies. The promoter’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. We reserve the right to forward contact details of entrants to competition sponsors. Prizes are not transferrable and can’t be exchanged for cash. There are no costs associated with redeeming prizes. Winner will be notified by telephone, email or post. All prize values are correct at time of publication. Prizes awarded are the responsibility of the competition sponsors. Winners must be willing to be photographed for possible publication in Living and Loving free of any fee. Caxton Magazines, its employees, directors, representatives or agents will not be liable for any loss or damages incurred, and Caxton Magazines shall not be liable for any loss of whatsoever nature and however arising. Prizes are valid for one year from date of issue they appear in and cannot be re-issued should they expire or re-sent if they are returned.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day.