Spice up the old vetkoek and mince recipe with this delicious twist! Recipe by Sithembiso Ndashe
‘Tis the time to be jolly and a little more flexible on your diet. Your family’s tastebuds won’t know what hit them when you serve up this mouth-watering vetkoek cheeseburger.
Ingredients for the vetkoek
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes or until golden brown
- 500g Magwenya Flour Mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5g (1 ½ tsp) instant yeast
- Combine 1 ½ cups of lukewarm water with approximately 3 cups of Magwinya flour.
- Mix with the yeast in a bowl to make a dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil in a pot to deep fry the dough.
- Form dough into small balls and drop into hot oil.
- Deep fry the dough for 3 minutes on one side, then turn the dough balls in the oil and fry for another 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on tissue paper to drain off the oil.
Note: If you don’t want to make your own vetkoek from scratch you can either buy ready-made vetkoek or use the new pre-made Magwinya Mix available at supermarkets.
Ingredients for the burger
- Pure 100% beef patties
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 slice of cheese per burger
- 1 fresh slice of tomato per burger
- Fresh lettuce leaves
- Cooked onion
- Nola Original Mayonnaise
- Mango atchar
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
How to assemble your vetkoek cheeseburger
- Slice the Vetkoek in half.
- Take one side and spread some Nola Original Mayonnaise.
- Add fresh lettuce.
- Heat pan with oil and place burger patties in pan. Cook patties until your desired preference.
- Approximately 30 seconds before removing the burger patty from the heat, add a slice of cheese on top of the burger.
- Place burger patty onto the lettuce and layer with tomato and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Nola Original Mayonnaise and atchar mix on top of the burger (use approximately 1 cup Nola Original Mayonnaise to ¼ cup Mango Atchar).
- Finish it off with the cooked onion.
- Close the burger with the remaining vetkoek half.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.