- 185g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180?C. Process the butter, sugar and vanilla in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the flour, egg and egg yolk and process again to form a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough lightly, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough between sheets of non-stick baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Cut the dough into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire cooling racks.
- To serve, decorate with icing or dust with icing sugar.
These biscuits store well in an airtight container for up to a month. Alternatively, make the whole batch of dough and freeze half of it rolled into 5cm – diameter rolls.
To use, cut into discs, press down with a fork to make a pattern and bake as above.
Christmas Spices: adding a pinch of all spice, ground cinnamon and ground ginger will give the biscuits a seasonal spiciness. A tablespoon of currants and candied peel can also be added.
Lemon and orange flavor: grate the rind of one lemon and one orange, and add to the dough mixture for delicious citrus – flavoured biscuits.
Chop a few cherries, dust them with flour and mix them into the dough.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.