Spoil your partner with a yummy Sedgwick’s burger for date night. Serve it with salad and sweet potato wedges.
Date night with your partner doesn’t have to be an expensive exercise. You can make the best burgers in town in your own kitchen with this delicious Sedgwick’s burger recipe.
For the patties
- 750g beef mince
- 200g chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 10ml smoked paprika
- 5ml salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60ml olive oil
For the Sedgwick’s caramelized onions
- 60g butter
- 5 onions, thickly sliced
- 5mg brown sugar
- 80ml Sedgwick’s Old Brown
For the Sedgwick’s candied bacon
- 125ml Sedgwick’s Old Brown
- 60mg brown sugar
- 250g streaky bacon
- Combine the beef mince, chorizo and smoked paprika. Season everything with the salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime start with the onions: heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and fry them until they start to caramelize. Season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the brown sugar and caramelize them for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Sedgwick’s Old Brown and reduce until the onions becomes sticky. Set the onions aside.
- For the bacon, preheat the oven to 180°C. Soak the bacon in the Sedgwick’s Old Brown for 30 minutes. Line the bacon on a baking tray, sprinkle the brown sugar over it and bake it in the oven. After 10 minutes, turn the bacon over and return it to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until it’s caramelized and crispy.
- For the patties, heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Shape the mince into tennis-size balls. Rub each mince ball with the olive oil and grill them for 8 minutes on each side or until it’s done to your liking.
- Serve the patties on toasted brioche buns with the bacon and onions on top.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.