If you aren’t a fan of store-bought fish cakes, you’ll love this homemade recipe!
• 500g fresh white fish fillets, such as hake
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 3 tsp fish sauce (optional as high in salt)
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
• 6 spring onions, finely chopped
• 1 potato, boiled and roughly mashed
• ¼ cup mild sweet chilli sauce (or tomato sauce)
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 eggs
• Cake flour
• 200g Panko breadcrumbs (or homemade crumbs)
1. Poach or steam the fish until just soft. Allow to cool. Flake and check carefully for bones!
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the carrots and onions for approximately 5 minutes, until lightly fried.
3. Place the fish, spring onions, carrots, potatoes, lemon juice, fish spice, sweet chilli sauce, and pepper in a bowl. Combine well and adjust seasoning.
4. Using a tablespoon, take spoonfuls of the mixture and mould into balls.
5. Place on a lined tray and store in the freezer until frozen.
6. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
7. Dip the frozen fishcakes into the flour and shake off the excess. Next, dip them into the beaten egg. Lastly, dip them into the breadcrumbs.
8. Freeze the crumbed fishcakes for at least four hours so they can bind together. They can remain frozen until needed. Simply defrost until slightly soft.
9. Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the fishcakes until golden.
10. Serve with bought or homemade coleslaw, garnish with coriander and sesame seeds.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.