These delectable strawberry and rose lamingtons are the perfect sweet treat for Mother’s Day.
Chef Jason Whitehead shares a delicious strawberry and rose lamington recipe that’s perfect for tea time.
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 squirt vanilla concentrate or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients strawberry and rose syrup:
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- ½ cup castor sugar
- ½ cup dried rose buds / petals
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
To dip cake squares in:
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs and vanilla until they look pale and creamy.
- Add the melted butter, flour, salt and baking powder and continue to whisk until smooth and lump free.
- Add the milk and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Butter and flour a large bread tin, and pour in the cake batter. Put it in the oven. Depending on the size of the bread tin, bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when poked into the centre of the cake.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes before trying to remove it from the tin.
- Once cooled, remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool down completely.
- While the cake is baking, make the strawberry and rose syrup.
- Simply add all the ingredients for the syrup listed above to a saucepan and boil for 2-3 minutes, then blend with a stick blender. Pass the mixture through a sieve and set aside.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, cut it into evenly sized squares.
- Carefully dip the cake squares into the syrup on all sides, then immediately into the desiccated coconut.
- You can store them in an airtight container, or devour them then and there.
- To serve as a dessert, strain the remaining syrup, place two tablespoons of it into a serving dish; put the lamington on top, and finish with some whipped cream and a sprinkling of desiccated coconut.
Looking for more delectable recipes to try? Visit www.jasonwhitehead.co.za to buy Chef Jason’s MY LOCKDOWN COOKBOOK in aid of Streetscapes.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.