Whip up a batch of these spooky brownies for Halloween. You can use them for trick-or-treating instead of the usual sweets.
Ingredients for the brownies
- 180g butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1½ cups castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g white chocolate, chopped
- 20 white marshmallows
- Black decorating gel pen
- For the brownies, preheat oven to 180°C. Line an 18cm x 24cm baking pan with baking paper. Beat together the butter, oil and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for about 5 minutes until lighter in colour. Sift in the flour, cocoa and salt and fold in until just combined. Do not over beat. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a testing skewer comes out with moist crumbs instead of batter (don’t overbake, they will continue firming up out of the oven). Allow to cool.
- To decorate, cut the brownies into 5cm squares. Heat the chocolate in the microwave for about a minute and a half, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Dip the base of a marshmallow into the chocolate and stick on top of a brownie square. Repeat with the rest. Pack the brownies apart on baking paper.
- Spoon about 15ml chocolate (remelt if necessary) over each marshmallow to coat. Set aside for about 30 minutes to harden. Use black gel to make eyes and mouths.
Black decorating gel pens are available from baking stores. Alternatively, make your own by beating together 1 1/3 cups sifted icing sugar, 1 egg white and ½ tsp of lemon juice for about 5 minutes. Colour with black food colouring and spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small, round nozzle.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day.