Whip up a batch of these spooky brownies for Halloween. You can use them for trick-or-treating instead of the usual sweets.
Ingredients for the brownies
- 180g butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1½ cups castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g white chocolate, chopped
- 20 white marshmallows
- Black decorating gel pen
- For the brownies, preheat oven to 180°C. Line an 18cm x 24cm baking pan with baking paper. Beat together the butter, oil and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for about 5 minutes until lighter in colour. Sift in the flour, cocoa and salt and fold in until just combined. Do not over beat. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a testing skewer comes out with moist crumbs instead of batter (don’t overbake, they will continue firming up out of the oven). Allow to cool.
- To decorate, cut the brownies into 5cm squares. Heat the chocolate in the microwave for about a minute and a half, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Dip the base of a marshmallow into the chocolate and stick on top of a brownie square. Repeat with the rest. Pack the brownies apart on baking paper.
- Spoon about 15ml chocolate (remelt if necessary) over each marshmallow to coat. Set aside for about 30 minutes to harden. Use black gel to make eyes and mouths.
Black decorating gel pens are available from baking stores. Alternatively, make your own by beating together 1 1/3 cups sifted icing sugar, 1 egg white and ½ tsp of lemon juice for about 5 minutes. Colour with black food colouring and spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small, round nozzle.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.