Hosting a brunch? They’ll love this recipe!
Having friends or family over for brunch? Ditch the bacon and French toast and impress your guests with spinach and mushroom baked eggs.
- 400g baby spinach
- 500g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 5 medium leeks, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 350ml milk
- 2 tsp mustard
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pink peppercorns
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C and prepare 4 ramekins on a baking tray.
- Blanch the spinach by placing it in a colander in the sink. Pour boiling water over the spinach, and then immediately rinse with cold water. Squeeze all the water out and set aside.
- In a large frying pan over high heat, sauté the mushrooms in a drizzle of olive oil until golden brown. Set mushrooms aside. In the same pan, add the butter, leeks and garlic and cook until the leeks are tender and garlic is fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly for a few minutes. Pour in the milk and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer. Season with mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper Once the mixture is thick, remove from the heat. Stir in the mushrooms, spinach and Parmesan cheese.
- Divide mixture between ramekins and create a well in the centre of each one. Crack an egg into each well and bake for 10-15 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Sprinkle with some crushed pink peppercorns and serve.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.