- 1.5kg Roasting chicken – with giblets (Defrost the chicken)
- 2 Onions peeled
- Salt, pepper and dried herbs
- 3 tbsp Sunfoil Pure Sunflower oil
- 250ml Allsome Rice
- 2.5 ml Salt
- 1 L Water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove the giblets from the inside of the chicken. Rinse the chicken and then place the peeled onion into the cavity. This will add a delicious flavour to the meat and will also be good as an extra vegetable when serving.
- Oil the outside of the chicken and then season with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Place in a roasting dish, put 150ml water into the pan and roast covered for 1 hour.
- While the chicken is in the oven, chop the second onion and lightly fry it in some oil.
- Add the giblets and once they have browned, add water and seasoning and create a stock for gravy.
- After an hour, remove the lid from the roasting pan and allow the chicken to brown for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting dish; using flour and the stock made from the giblets make the gravy.
- Cook Allsome Rice per the instructions on the packet.
- Slice the chicken and serve with Allsome rice.
How to make chicken stock
- Fry some onions, carrots and herbs and add the left-over chicken carcass, cold water and salt.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the onion skin for colour.
- Allow to cool, strain and freeze.