- 1.5kg Roasting chicken – with giblets (Defrost the chicken)
- 2 Onions peeled
- Salt, pepper and dried herbs
- 3 tbsp Sunfoil Pure Sunflower oil
- 250ml Allsome Rice
- 2.5 ml Salt
- 1 L Water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove the giblets from the inside of the chicken. Rinse the chicken and then place the peeled onion into the cavity. This will add a delicious flavour to the meat and will also be good as an extra vegetable when serving.
- Oil the outside of the chicken and then season with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Place in a roasting dish, put 150ml water into the pan and roast covered for 1 hour.
- While the chicken is in the oven, chop the second onion and lightly fry it in some oil.
- Add the giblets and once they have browned, add water and seasoning and create a stock for gravy.
- After an hour, remove the lid from the roasting pan and allow the chicken to brown for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting dish; using flour and the stock made from the giblets make the gravy.
- Cook Allsome Rice per the instructions on the packet.
- Slice the chicken and serve with Allsome rice.
How to make chicken stock
- Fry some onions, carrots and herbs and add the left-over chicken carcass, cold water and salt.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the onion skin for colour.
- Allow to cool, strain and freeze.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.