Help the kids bake these fun reindeer cookies. They'll love decorating them! By Annabel Karmel
In my house Christmas is a great time to get creative in the kitchen. My kids love to help out with baking and decorating by morphing cookies into reindeer, baked potato into snowmen and sausages into Christmas stockings. The menu is endless.
- 350g plain flour
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ½tsp mixed spice
- ¼tsp salt
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½tsp baking powder
- 175g butter
- 150g light brown sugar
- 4tbsp golden syrup
For the decoration
- Curly Wurly chocolate bars
- Glacé cherries
- Black writing icing pens
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Measure the flour, spices, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl.
- Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix. Lightly knead together to make a dough.
- Form the dough into 10 balls. Pinch out one end of the balls to form a point, then flatten with your hand. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden but still slightly soft.
- Using a skewer, make a slit on either side of the cookie heads for the antlers to slot in, then leave to cool for a few minutes. Decorate each cookie with lengths of Curly Wurly for the antlers and halved glacé cherries for the nose. Take two M&M’s of the same colour for the eyes and dot with black icing for the pupils.
For more recipe inspiration, download Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler app. Access more than 200 delicious recipes, as well as a host of features to keep your family on track and enjoying meal times.
Download the new version from the App Store now or visit annabelkarmel.com
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.