This one-pot sweet piquanté pepper and chicken recipe is the perfect dinner dish for a cold winter’s evening.
Easy to make, serve this one-pot chicken dish in big soup bowls, topped with a few slices of avocado, some grated Cheddar cheese and a wedge of lime.
- 2.5ml chilli powder
- 10ml dried oregano
- 5ml ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g tin Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 80ml long-grain rice
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400g tin red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 125ml Peppadew mild sweet piquanté pepper relish
- 60ml pitted black olives
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Combine the chilli powder, oregano, ground coriander and garlic and rub all over the chicken pieces. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the chicken in batches. Set aside.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the saucepan and return to the stove over medium heat. Add the onion with a splash of water and cook until the onion softens. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, rice and chicken stock to the tomato mixture and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the beans, Peppadew relish and olives. Heat through and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Scatter with the coriander leaves
- Serve in bowls with a few slices of avocado and grated Cheddar cheese. Top with a lime wedge.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.