Out of dinner ideas? This delicious recipe served with roast pork belly and apple sauce will have the whole family coming back for more.
You’ll be blown away by these pickled jalapeño mashed potatoes. The dish has a punchy bite, and the addition of feta cheese rounds it off nicely. Serve it as a side dish to slow-roasted pork belly and apple sauce. It is equally great with any other roast: beef, lamb or chicken. The leftover jalapeño cream can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can add a spoon or two to tomato pasta sauce, vegetable soup and salad dressing for a kick of flavour.
Peppadew pickled jalapeño cream
- 1 jar Peppadew Jalapeños, drained well
- 15ml fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 10ml garlic, finely chopped
- Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for five minutes, stirring often.
- Allow to cool for five minutes; blend in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into a glass storage jar and refrigerate until needed.
Peppadew jalapeño mashed potatoes
- 8 large potatoes, peeled
- 30g butter
- Hot milk as needed
- 60ml Peppadew pickled jalapeño cream
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 250ml feta cheese, cubed
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and add the butter and a bit of hot milk.
- Mash the potatoes until nice and smooth.
- Stir in the jalapeño cream and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Stir in the feta cheese and serve at once.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.