Treat your partner to this delicious recipe for Valentine's Day.
You don’t have to go to a restaurant for an overpriced meal. If you want to do something a little more budget friendly, make this paello risotto at home.
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 250ml dry white wine
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g fresh chorizo sausage, cut into 2cm pieces
- 500g prawns, cleaned and shells removed
- 12 large black mussels, cleaned well
- Pinch saffron threads
- 40g parmesan grated
- In a sauce pan, heat up the chicken stock on low flame, once it starts to simmer remove from heat and season to taste with sea salt. Add the saffron threads and cover with a lid.
- In a large pan heat up the butter and add the onion. Allow them to sweat on low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the rice and stir fry for 5 minutes over a high heat.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir until almost all is absorbed. Stir in 1 ladle saffron infused stock, a ladle at a time waiting for the rice to absorb it before adding more.
- In a separate pan heat up the olive oil and pan sear the chorizo until golden brown on all sides. Add the prawns to the pan and toss to coat in all the chorizo oils and absorb its flavors. Cook only a few minutes until the prawns are cooked.
- A few minutes before the risotto is done, stir through the parmesan, with the last ladle of the stock add in the mussels. Season well. Cook until they open up and discard the ones that haven’t opened.
- Add the chorizo and prawns to the risotto. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and serve.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.