- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 200g mushrooms
- 2 large courgettes, diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 patty pans, diced
- 150g butternut, peeled and diced
- 1 x 410g tin of peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon low salt vegetable seasoning (Herbamare®)
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion for five to six minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, for about 30–40 minutes. You may need to add ½ a cup of water every 20 minutes if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Serve with whole-wheat pasta or brown rice.
- The remaining mixture freezes very well, or you could mix it with remaining pasta, top with low fat cheese and bake in a casserole dish for a delicious “left over” dish.
This ratatouille makes a great puree for Baby. Before adding any seasoning, scoop ½ a cup of the mixture out and allow it to cool before pureeing according to the desired consistency for weaning babies. Freezes well.