As the weather gets cooler, this is the ideal recipe for a delicious family dinner.
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 200g mushrooms
- 2 large courgettes, diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 patty pans, diced
- 150g butternut, peeled and diced
- 1 x 410g tin of peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon low salt vegetable seasoning (Herbamare®)
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion for five to six minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, for about 30–40 minutes. You may need to add ½ a cup of water every 20 minutes if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Serve with whole-wheat pasta or brown rice.
- The remaining mixture freezes very well, or you could mix it with remaining pasta, top with low fat cheese and bake in a casserole dish for a delicious “left over” dish.
This ratatouille makes a great puree for Baby. Before adding any seasoning, scoop ½ a cup of the mixture out and allow it to cool before pureeing according to the desired consistency for weaning babies. Freezes well.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.