You don’t have to prepare a three-course meal for dinner every night. The whole family will love this yummy mushroom chicken a la king dish. You can also cook a double batch and freeze the rest for nights when you don’t have time to prepare dinner.
*Serves 4 to 6
- 20g butter
- 10ml olive oil
- ½ green pepper, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 steamed or roasted chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 punnets portabellini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 15ml flour
- 150ml milk
- 3ml salt
- 2ml black pepper
- 150ml cream
- 250ml low sodium chicken stock
- Fresh summer salad to serve
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a frying pan. Add the green pepper and onion and sauté to soften.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and fry for a few minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour. Gradually stir in the chicken stock and then the milk.
- Replace the pan over the heat and cook until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil, stirring all the time. Add the cream and stir through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pieces of chicken and heat through gently.
- Serve with a fresh summer salad.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day.