A homemade milk tart is always a winner. Whether you need dessert for a themed party, special occasion or simply just a slice of something sweet, this easy milk tart recipe will sort you out. By Noeleen Foster
- 1 whole egg (large)
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 400ml full fat (creamy) milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin and pre-heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan assisted oven.
- Put egg, yolks, sugar and cornflour in a pan and mix together, then gradually add the milk until mixture is well mixed and smooth.
- Place pan on medium heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Put custard in a glass/ceramic bowl to cool and cover with cling film to prevent skin forming.
- Cut pastry sheet into two pieces and place them on top of each other. Roll the pastry tightly, from the short side, into a log and cut the log into 12 even sized rounds.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each round into a disc (approx. 10cm) and press the pastry discs into the muffin tin.
- 7. Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25mins until golden on top. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling although they can be eaten warm.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.