The whole family will love these beef-filled tortillas for dinner! By Nini Jerman
A Chimichanga is a tortilla wrapped round a filling, typically of meat, and deep-fried. For this healthier version, Nini used rotis and baked them in the oven.
- 1kg lean minced beef
- Stir! it up Harissa Sauce
- Stir! it up Italian Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tin (400g) red kidney beans
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomato
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 8 rotis, tortillas or wraps
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh coriander and sour cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Season minced beef with salt and pepper and brown in a pan.
- Reconstitute 100g Stir! it up Harissa Sauce with 2 cups hot water or stock. Add to the browned mince.
- Add chilli powder, cumin, beans and tinned tomatoes to the mince. (If you like it hot, add extra chilli).
- Stir to mix and cook on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce is reduced. Add half the cheddar cheese, stir to mix and remove from heat.
- Reconstitute 100g Stir! it up Italian Tomato Sauce with 2 cups hot water. Add a thin layer Stir! it up Italian Tomato Sauce to the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
- If the rotis/ wraps or tortillas are not very pliable, heat in microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Place about 1/3 cup filling towards one side of a roti. Fold over the side nearest the filling to cover the filling. Fold in the two sides and roll up. Repeat with remaining roti’s. Pack the filled roti’s tightly on top of the tomato sauce in the ovenproof dish.
- Top the rotis with the rest of the Italian Tomato Sauce and cover with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Serve with sour cream, fresh coriander and a green salad.
Visit www.stir-it-up.co.za to order your delicious STIR! it Up sauces.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.