Your kids will love these egg-stra special Easter treats! Katelyn from The Kate Tin shares some of her favourite Easter chocolate memories and a yummy recipe you can try at home.
These millionaire shortbread Easter eggs look like breakfast, right? Egg-cept they’re loaded with salted caramel sauce and served with buttery shortbread dippers on the side!
Ever since I can remember my mother made us homemade chocolate eggs for Easter. From bunnies to eggs, chickens to baskets, white chocolate, dark chocolate, filled, hollow – you name it, we got it. Goodness knows how she did it because ‘ain’t nobody got time for that these days.
But, what you do have time for, is to whip up a quick caramel sauce and a no-brainer shortbread to distract everyone from the fact that you didn’t make the eggs!
The luscious caramel sauce inside the millionaire shortbread Easter eggs is made with soft brown sugar, which gives it a lovely fudgy flavour. The Natura Sugars Demerara Sugar and Golden Caster Sugar are the secret to the melt-in-the-mouth shortbread, which is possibly one of the most basic things to conjure up in the baking world.
Ingredients for millionaire’s shortbread Easter eggs
- 6-8 hollow chocolate Easter Eggs (try and get ones with the best-quality chocolate you can find)
Salted caramel filling
- 150g salted butter
- 150g Natura Sugars Soft Light Brown Sugar
- 150ml cream
- 40g good-quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 200g salted butter, softened
- 100g Natura Sugars Demerara Icing Sugar, sifted
- 200g cake flour
- 100g cornflour
- Natura Sugars Golden Caster Sugar, for sprinkling
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut the tops off the chocolate eggs (you can go ahead and eat the tops – we won’t be needing them).
- To make the salted caramel filling, place the butter and sugar in a saucepan and place over a low heat. Simmer for 8 minutes until the sugar caramelizes and just starts smoking. Add the cream gradually while whisking. Stir in the milk chocolate and whisk until smooth. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the shortbread, cream the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour and cornflour and mix to form a soft dough. Press the shortbread into a greased and lined square 20cm baking tin. Prick the base with a fork and bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes or until just golden brown. Sprinkle the shortbread with caster sugar as soon as it comes out the oven. Cut into fingers while still hot.
- To assemble, fill the chocolate eggs with the caramel sauce. Serve the eggs with a sprinkling of sea salt and the shortbread fingers.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.