These sugar-free marshmallows are super quick and easy to make and your kids will love them.
- 2 tbsp granulated gelatin
- ½ cup cold water
- 1½ cups xylitol
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Line a 21cm square tin with baking paper. Combine the gelatin and cold water and set aside for five minutes.
- Heat the xylitol and hot water in a small saucepan, stirring until dissolved. Bring to a boil, without stirring, for five minutes. Remove from the heat, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add the vanilla essence. Cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, beat the mixture on high for about seven minutes, until it forms stiff peaks. Spoon in to the prepared tin, spread evenly and press a piece of baking paper on top to prevent it drying out. Allow to set overnight.
- Cut into squares with a wet knife and roll in coatings, if you like.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Coat the marshmallows in cocoa powder, toasted desiccated coconut or ground nuts, arrowroot flour or cornflour.
- Beat in a few drops of pink food colouring and replace the vanilla with strawberry essence.
- Beat in a few drops of green food colouring and replace the vanilla with mint essence.
- Set the marshmallows in a 27 x 40cm tray and cut into shapes with cookie cutters.