These sugar-free marshmallows are super quick and easy to make and your kids will love them.
- 2 tbsp granulated gelatin
- ½ cup cold water
- 1½ cups xylitol
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Line a 21cm square tin with baking paper. Combine the gelatin and cold water and set aside for five minutes.
- Heat the xylitol and hot water in a small saucepan, stirring until dissolved. Bring to a boil, without stirring, for five minutes. Remove from the heat, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add the vanilla essence. Cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, beat the mixture on high for about seven minutes, until it forms stiff peaks. Spoon in to the prepared tin, spread evenly and press a piece of baking paper on top to prevent it drying out. Allow to set overnight.
- Cut into squares with a wet knife and roll in coatings, if you like.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Coat the marshmallows in cocoa powder, toasted desiccated coconut or ground nuts, arrowroot flour or cornflour.
- Beat in a few drops of pink food colouring and replace the vanilla with strawberry essence.
- Beat in a few drops of green food colouring and replace the vanilla with mint essence.
- Set the marshmallows in a 27 x 40cm tray and cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day.