Tired of malva pudding for Sunday dessert? Try this cheesecake with a delicious pumpkin twist.
For the base
- 1 packet ginger biscuits (200 g)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
For the cheesecake
- 500g diced pumpkin
- Salt for seasoning
- 60ml milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 500g Lancewood Full Fat Plain Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (white or brown sugar)
- 2 eggs
For the base
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Blend the ginger biscuits in a blender until fine.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and allow it to cool.
- Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter and build the base in a 10-inch greased and lined cake tin.
- Place the tin in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow the base to cool.
For the filling
- Place the pumpkin on a roasting tray, season with salt, and roast at 200°C for about 45 minutes until the pumpkin is soft and slightly caramelised. Transfer the pumpkin into a mixer and add the milk, butter and all spices and mix until smooth. Add the cream cheese and mix until smooth ( about 2 minutes at a medium speed). Now slowly add the sugar while mixing.
- Add one egg at a time, ensuring that each egg is well mixed before adding the next. Now add the pumpkin mixture and mix for a further minute or so until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool for 2 hours.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from tin when ready to serve.
Feeling inspired? Simply submit a picture of your best cake to lancewoodcakeoff.co.za (clearly showing the LANCEWOOD product used to create it), along with the recipe to enter this year’s LANCEWOOD Cake-Off. Entries close at midnight on 3 June 2018.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.