*Makes 10 jaffels
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250ml beef stock
- 500g mince
- 7g (sachet) of Raja mild and spicy curry powder
- 1 x small tin of tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 20 slices of white or brown bread.
- Mrs Balls chutney
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic; stir-fry lightly for 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown. Add the mince and Raja curry powder.
- Stir-fry for another 5 to 8 minutes. Add tomato paste, potato chunks, peas and stock.
- Reduce heat and simmer slowly for about 20 – 25 minutes or until sauce has reduced by one third.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the bread with butter and place buttered side on the jaffel pan.
- Add spoonful’s of the mince mixture on the bread and a dollop of chutney on top of the mince. Place another slice of bread on top and close. Remember to cut off edges.
- Fry over high heat (if you’re camping, it will be hot coals or over high heat on the stove) for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.