These honeybee cake pops will work beautifully for a yellow themed baby shower, and they're so easy to make. By Noeleen Foster
By Noeleen Foster
To make the cake pops, you need to make a simple vanilla sponge cake first then crumble it and add in your butter icing. Roll your pops, freeze your pops and then decorate … it’s a process but worth every bite and every step.
Simple sponge cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of salt
- ½ cup of sun flower oil
- 1 cup of boiling water.
- Beat for on a high setting your eggs, sugar and Vanilla essence until sugar has dissolved.
- Then in a separate bowl sift together your flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gently Fold into egg mixture your dry ingredients and mix by hand.
- Mix in a jug your sunflower oil and your cup of boiling water.
- Add the boiling water and oil mix to the rest of your mixture and gently combine.
- Bake at 180°C in a well greased 20 x 25cm pan for roughly half an hour until golden brown.
- Let the cake cool.
While the cake is cooling, make your butter icing.
- ½ cup full cream/baking margarine
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla essence
- Cream the butter and add your sugar slowly, beating your mixture until it is sooth and creamy.
- Once your cake is completely cold – crumble it into your butter icing mix.
- Mix on a low speed until it’s fully combined. It should resemble soft looking dough.
- Roll your dough into 30g balls and put them into the freezer for an hour or two
- Use any chocolate (cooking chocolate is cheaper) clever tip; add in 1 tsp of oil to every 100gram of chocolate – this helps to prevent cracks from forming on your pops.
- Once your pops are out of the freezer, insert your lolly stick and gently cover the pop with melted chocolate and decorate.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.