Fill these bread cones with your favourite fillings and enjoy!
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 x ½ cups bread flour
- 2 x ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
For the egg glaze
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Heat the milk and water in a saucepan on the stove, then pour into a large bowl.
- Add oil, sugar and salt and mix with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Add the beaten egg and 2 cups of flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the instant yeast to the mixture and blend.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes, uncovered, for the yeast to activate, before adding the remaining flour.
- Knead dough for about 5-8 minutes until it’s soft and pliable.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a clean bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Turn over a few times to lightly coat all sides of the dough with the oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest until the dough doubles in size.
- Make the cones out of cardboard or use ice-cream cones.
- Tape the cones and then cover them with foil so that no paper shows.
- Grease the covered cones with Spray and Cook and set aside.
- Remove dough and knead a few times to release the gas. Divide the dough into eight pieces and allow to rest for five minutes.
- Take each piece of dough and roll into a small thin rope.
- Roll the dough ropes around the greased cone tubes.
- Place onto a baking sheet and brush with the egg glaze. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rest for 30 minutes in a warm environment.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celcius for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before removing the tubes.
- Fill with your favourite filling and enjoy! (We lined our cones with a little mayonnaise and filled them with Parma ham, sundried tomatoes, pitted olives, feta, rocket and crisp salad leaves.)
Credit: Recipe, styling and photography by Noeleen Foster
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.