These salads are perfect to serve as a side dish at a braai, or with cold meats or a roast chicken.
Don’t feel like warm vegetables with your dinner? Serve these healthy salads as a side dish with roast chicken or cold meats.
Baby spinach, avo and feta salad
- 300g baby spinach
- 200g wild rocket
- 2 large ripe avocados, cut into chunks
- 100g raw beetroot, shredded
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- Assorted micro-herbs – coriander, basil and rocket
- 100g Pouyoukas sunflower seeds
This salad is best dressed simply with olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lime and seasoning.
- On a large serving platter, scatter the baby spinach leaves, rocket and avocado chunks.
- Add the beetroot, feta cheese, micro-herbs and sunflower seeds.
Rustic Peppadew Piquanté Pepper potato salad with crisp Parma ham
- 700g baby Mediterranean potatoes, boiled in salted water
- 100g Parma ham
- 10ml olive oil
- 3 handfuls of rocket
- 1 handful micro-herbs
- 125ml Peppadew Piquanté Peppers, chopped
- 30ml good quality mayonnaise
- 15ml wholegrain mustard
- 15ml honey
- 5ml lemon juice
- Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Fry the Parma ham in the olive oil until crisp. Allow to cool.
- Arrange the potatoes, rocket, micro-herbs and crispy ham in a glass jar or in a salad bowl.
- Add the piquanté peppers.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, honey and lemon juice together.
- Seal the dressing in a small glass jar and pour over the salad just before serving.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.