Whether you’re roasting a chicken or having a braai, these gluten-free corn fritters are the perfect side to accompany your dish.
*Makes 8 medium fritters
- 1 tin of sweet corn, drained and dried
- 1 cup of Maizena corn flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup ice water
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Coriander for garnish
- Sweet chili sauce
- Oil for frying
- Mix the Maizena, baking powder, spring onion, chili and salt together.
- Add half the ice water and mix into a paste before slowly add the rest of the water until a smooth batter is formed.
- Add the corn to the batter.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil to a medium heat.
- Using a spoon, drop a spoon of corn batter and fry for 1–2 minutes until golden brown on one side.
- Flip and fry the other side.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve warm with sprigs of coriander and a sweet chilli sauce.