Whip up a batch of these corn fritters to serve as a side dish with your braai.
Whether you’re roasting a chicken or having a braai, these gluten-free corn fritters are the perfect side to accompany your dish.
*Makes 8 medium fritters
- 1 tin of sweet corn, drained and dried
- 1 cup of Maizena corn flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup ice water
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Coriander for garnish
- Sweet chili sauce
- Oil for frying
- Mix the Maizena, baking powder, spring onion, chili and salt together.
- Add half the ice water and mix into a paste before slowly add the rest of the water until a smooth batter is formed.
- Add the corn to the batter.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil to a medium heat.
- Using a spoon, drop a spoon of corn batter and fry for 1–2 minutes until golden brown on one side.
- Flip and fry the other side.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve warm with sprigs of coriander and a sweet chilli sauce.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.