Get in the kitchen and help your little ones bake these gluten and sugar-free carrot cake bites! They’re so yummy, they won’t even miss the sugar!
*Makes about 20
- 200g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp xylitol
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp soft butter
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup grated carrots
For the icing
- 230g tub cream cheese
- 2 / 3 cups powdered xylitol
- ¼ cup soft butter
- 10ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Yellow, pink, green and blue food colouring
How to make your gluten and sugar-free carrot cake bites
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 standard cupcake trays with mini paper cups.
- Blitz the almonds, xylitol, milk, butter, egg white, cinnamon and baking powder until smooth. Stir in the carrots.
- Spoon 10ml into each cup. Bake for about 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden around the edges. Allow to cool.
- For the icing, beat together all the ingredients, except colouring until smooth. Divide between 4 bowls and colour each a different colour. Spoon yellow icing into a piping bag fitted with 5mm round nozzle and remaining colours into bags with star nozzles.
- Pipe yellow dots onto 2 of the cupcakes. Pipe blue and pink swirls onto 6 cupcakes each. Arrange each colour around a yellow cupcake on a cake board.
- Pipe green icing onto remaining cupcakes as leaves, followed by stems and grass onto the board. (Mix remaining yellow and blue icings to make more green, if needed.)
Make powdered xylitol by blitzing granules in a spice grinder.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.