*Makes approx. 40 cookies
*Preparation time: approx. 50 minutes
- 125g butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 2½ cups plain flour, sifted
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric beater until light and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup, flour and bicarb, and mix to form a smooth dough.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Roll out the dough to about 4mm thick, between sheets of non-stick baking paper. Cut out shapes from the dough using a template or cookie cutter.
- Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool while still on the trays.
To make the icing, mix the egg white and icing sugar until properly combined. Pipe “buttons” on the gingerbread cookies or spread some icing over the cookies and allow to set.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.