You haven’t really lived until you’ve tasted a homemade spring roll. Try something different this year, and treat your guests with these fruitcake spring rolls.
- 50g Moir’s red glacé cherries, finely chopped
- 150g Safari cake mix
- 125ml sugar
- 30ml butter
- 25g brown sugar
- 50g Safari sultanas
- 5ml cinnamon
- 5ml Moir’s brandy essence
- 125ml water
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- ±125 ml melted butter
To make the chocolate chilli dipping sauce:
- 50g milk chocolate, melted
- 45ml cream
- A pinch of chilli
- Mix the cherries, cake mix, sugar, butter, sultanas, cinnamon, essence and water together.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until thick and syrupy.
- Cut the sheets of phyllo pastry into 6 blocks. Using 3 blocks at a time, brush each block with butter.
- Place on top of each other.
- Place a tablespoon of the mixture in the middle of the top third of the pastry.
- Fold over.
- Fold in the sides and roll up.
- Place on a baking sheet with the unfolded side to the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 15 mins
- Cut the pastry with a sharp non-serrated knife when taking it out of the oven. Cover the pastry with a thick dry cloth and place a damp cloth on top to avoid drying and cracking.
- To make the chocolate chilli dipping sauce, mix all the required ingredients together and serve with the spring rolls.