By Noeleen Foster and Oumi Foster
Easiest short-bread ever
- 500g butter
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 cups flour
- ½ cup corn starch (Maizena)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease a 20 x 30cm baking tray.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Sift in 4 cups of flour and corn starch to mix.
- If your dough is too soft add in an extra ½ cup of flour.
- Gently press your dough into the tray and bake for approximately 45min.
- Cut into blocks when still warm and lightly sprinkle with some castor sugar.
Rose and berry jam
- 500g fresh rose petals (pink or red will do, make sure to wash and use roses that have not been sprayed with pesticides)
- 500g mixed berries (or whatever is in season)
- 1kg castor sugar
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons (helps to make the pectin for the jam)
- 1 cup water
- Gently bruise/crush the rose petals with your hands, then place them in a wide plastic container and sprinkle with a little castor sugar.
- Cover with cling film and let them stand for 2-3 hours.
- Boil water, berries and sugar together. Once boiled, add the juice of 2 lemons (remember to take out the pips) and boil again.
- Now add in your rose petals.
- Let your jam boil for another 2-3 hours until it is ready.
- To check that your jam is ready, scoop a little out with a teaspoon. Let it cool and if it sets to a jelly-like state then it’s ready. If not, boil for a little longer.