This comforting tomato soup can be made in less than 20 minutes and enjoyed by both you and your toddler. Don’t forget to make the cheesy bread dippers – it’s sure to be the part that’s the most fun for your toddler!
This meal is suitable for toddlers 12 months+.
*Makes 4 small and 2 adult servings.
Ingredients for soup:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth/vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Pepper to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt
Ingredients for cheesy bread dippers:
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 tbs butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp Italian spice mix
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, broth, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can make the cheesy bread dippers. Heat the oven to a broil and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Butter or oil one side of the bread and place it (butter side up) on the baking sheet. Broil until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, carefully flip the bread over and sprinkle the non-cooked side with cheese and Italian spice mix. Place back under the broiler and heat until cheese is golden brown.
- Let cool and then cut into 5cm strips.
- When the soup is done, add the yoghurt and using a blender or hand immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Let soup cool slightly and then serve the soup with the cheesy bread dippers.
*Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.
Recipe by Happy Family Organics.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.