- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 100g good quality dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2/3 cups milk
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 20-21cm square tin.
- Place a large pot or mixing bowl over simmering water. Add the butter, sugar, chocolate, cocoa and milk. When the butter and chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and whisk to combine. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then gently stir into the chocolate mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack. The cake will keep for a few days in an airtight container.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.