*Serves 4 – 6
- 2–4 hotdog rolls, cut lengthwise in half
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce (I like Woolies’ or Ina Paarman’s sauces)
- grated mozzarella cheese
- grated Cheddar cheese
- sliced tomatoes
- pitted olives
- sliced onions (optional )
- chopped pineapple
- chopped ham or bacon
- basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C.
- Brush the sliced rolls with olive oil, place on a baking tray and toast for a few minutes (keep your eye on them as they burn easily). Turn and toast the other side.
- Arrange the pizza toasts along with other ingredients on a tray and allow Dad and the kids to make their own mini pizzas using the variety of toppings on offer.
- Pop them back in the oven and bake until golden and crispy – about 5–7 minutes.
Pesto or sundried tomatoes can be offered for more advanced palates, as well as chopped anchovies and artichokes.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.