Who doesn't love a hearty cottage pie like the one your grandma made.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 250ml mixed veggies, thawed
- 500g lean mince
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml beef stock
- 900g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 85g butter
- 30ml milk
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and soften the onion and mixed vegetables for a few minutes.
- Turn up the heat, crumble in the mince and brown, tipping off any excess fat.
- Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce: fry for a few minutes.
- Pour over the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, uncovering halfway.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Meanwhile, make the mash. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10 to 15 minutes until tender. Drain, then mash with the butter and milk.
- Place the mince in an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top starts to colour and the mince is bubbling through at the edges.
Top Tip: The pie can be chilled and frozen for up to a month before baking.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.