Serve this yummy butter bean dip with pita bread sticks or crudités for a healthy snack.
Crudites aren’t just healthy; they’re a great way to incorporate some fun, or even a theme, into a dish by cutting vegetables into shape. Use a variety of cooked and raw veggies to make the spread even more enticing. You can even add some fruit to the mix if you’d like.
*Makes 8-10 portions
- 2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- A large pinch of paprika
- Pop all the ingredients except the paprika into the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Serve with crunchy crudites. We’ve used melon balls, carrot flashes, red-pepper stars, celery batons and sugar snaps.
Source: Recipes and photography courtesy of Real Meal Revolution’s Raising Superheroes by Prof Tim Noakes, Jonno Proudfoot and Bridget Surtees.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.