Treat your family to this yummy blueberry flapjack bake.
This delicious blueberry flapjack bake is similar to a bread and butter pudding, but is more indulgent!
For the flapjacks
- 1 packet Sasko Flapjack Bake Mix
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 550ml milk
- Oil, for frying
For the bake
- 250g blueberry jam (If you can’t find blueberry jam, you can use any other berry jam)
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups milk
- 160ml caster sugar
- 80g fresh blueberries
- Whipped cream/pouring cream
- Make the flapjacks as per the instructions on the Flapjack Bake Mix packet.
- Allow the flapjacks to cool.
- Grease a 34cm x 24cm rectangular, or similar sized, high-sided baking dish.
- Spread a little jam over each flapjack and layer them across the dish like dominoes.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk and caster sugar until the sugar has dissolved and pour over the flapjacks.
- Allow to sit for 45 minutes so that the flapjacks can absorb the custard.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bake the flapjack bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes to one hour. (Cooking time may vary depending on the size and type of baking dish you use. You will know when the bake is cooked as it will have risen slightly and the custard in the centre will be set and no longer liquid. To check, use a spoon and press down gently in the centre of the bake – if some liquid emerges, then it needs to be cooked for longer.)
- Serve warm with fresh berries and cream.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.