Celebrate Heritage Day with this delicious milk tart recipe. We also have advice from an expert on how to make a foolproof milk tart custard.
Ingredients – pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 125g butter
- Pinch of salt
Method – pastry:
- Cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and make stiff dough.
- Press into one or two round cake tins/pie dishes and bake at 180°C until light brown.
Ingredients – filling:
- 4 ½ cups milk
- 2 ½ tbsp. corn flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ½ tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Big spoon of butter
Method – filling:
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until stiff; add sugar, flour, corn flour and salt. Mix well.
- Pour boiling milk into the mixture and stir well.
- Return to stove and stir well until mixture thickens.
- Add butter and vanilla essence and pour into cooked shell.
- Allow to cool in the fridge
- To decorate, sprinkle with cinnamon.
The Velvet Cake Co. owner and pastry chef, Jandri van Zyl, shares her unique tips on how to make a foolproof milk tart custard:
- Patience is key when it comes to a good silky custard.
- For a smooth milk tart, the custard must be cooked slowly over a very low heat and stirred constantly. Use a large pot so that the heat distributes evenly until it gradually thickens. You can also add some corn flour to help the process further.
- Remember to look at the sell by date of your milk – you want to use the freshest milk possible.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.