*Prep time: 20 minutes
- 200g organic wholewheat penne pasta
- (or any pasta type)
- 300g beef stir-fry strips
- 300g diced butternut
- 5ml mixed dried herbs
- 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 100ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the packet, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the butternut on an oven tray, drizzle with half the olive oil and season with herbs.
- Roast at 180°C for 15–20 minutes until golden brown and tender when pierced
- with a fork.
- Flash-fry the beef strips in a hot wok or frying pan for 2–3 minutes, taking care not to overcook them or they’ll become tough.
- Toss all the ingredients together and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Serve with extra seasoning or a dollop of pesto (see variations below).
- This salad is great for adults’ and kids’ lunch boxes too. Make a little extra, fill an airtight container with the salad, and drizzle with a little salad dressing for a great alternative to sandwiches.
- For a meat-free version, use smoked tofu, soya strips, or a variety of roasted veggies and feta cheese.
- Additional flavours such as garlic or pesto can also be introduced.