Need party food inspiration? Try these delicious recipes! They’re quick and easy – we promise.
Whether you’re having friends over for sundowners, or hosting parents at a children’s party, we’ve got four delicious finger snacks they’ll love.
Stuffed Pitta Pockets
*Makes 4 Pitta Pockets
- 2 eggs
- 200g tinned tuna in sunflower oil, drained
- 100g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 2tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 spring onions, washed and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce
- A handful of salad cress (optional)
- 2 pitta breads
- Put the eggs in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes (the yolk should be solid).
- Drain and cool under cold water and peel the eggs when cold.
- Meanwhile, strain the oil from the can of tuna and mix the flaked tuna together with the sweetcorn, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, spring onion, salt and pepper and the Tabasco sauce.
- Roughly chop the hard-boiled eggs and add to the tuna mix with the salad cress (if using), stirring well.
- Cut the pitta breads in half to give 4 pitta pockets and divide the mixture between them.
Mini chicken prego rolls
- 4 chicken breasts, skin removed
- 8 mini pita pockets
- ¼ cup light mayo
- For the marinade
- 4 tbsp honey or apricot jam
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worchester sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chutney
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts and allow to marinade for 1–4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill on a hot grill pan for approx. 8 minutes on each side.
Thai prawn kebabs
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus one hour marinating
Cook time: 5 minutes
Makes 8 skewers
- 24 raw tiger prawns
- Zest and juice of half a lime
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- Half tsp red Thai paste
- Soak wooden skewers in cold water. Mix together the lime, soy, honey and Thai paste. Toss the prawns into the mixture and leave to marinate for 1 hour. Thread three prawns per skewer.
- Cook on the braai for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until the prawns turn pink, or fry in a frying pan for the same amount of time.
Mash two avocados into a smooth consistency; add chopped onion, garlic, chilli and coriander. Give your guacamole a South African twist and add chopped peppadews, grated biltong or mango atchar. Serve it with nachos or savoury biscuits.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.