Load shedding usually means takeaways or sandwiches. We rounded-up six delicious recipes your family will love despite the lack of electricity. All you need is a braai or a gas braai!
Homemade Greek burgers
- 450g beef mince
- 2 tbsp fresh wholewheat breadcrumbs
- ? cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped black olives
- 1 egg
- 100g red onion
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chop the olives and red onion and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Divide the mixture into six even portions and shape into circular flat disks.
- Place the patties on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Grill in a hot pan or on a braai grid for five minutes per side.
- Serve with burger buns and fillings of your choice.
*You can swap the ground pork for beef or chicken.
Beef and avocado wraps
- 80g avocado
- 50g carrot
- 50g cucumber
- 125g fat-free smooth cottage cheese
- 210g sliced beef rump
- 100g tomato
- 10ml Weigh-Less Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 Weigh-Less Tortilla Wraps
- Grate the carrots and cucumber and mix with the diced tomato, season and set aside.
- Mash together the avocado and cottage cheese, add the lemon juice and seasoning and mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the beef strips until golden and cooked through.
- Place the wraps on a flat working surface, top with the veg mixture, a few strips of fried beef and a spoonful of the avocado mash.
- Roll closed, secure with a toothpick and serve.
*Alternatively, you can fry the beef the night before if you know there will be loadshedding the following night or fry the beef on a braai.
Pumpkin potjie on the braai
- 1 pumpkin (size as required)
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1kg prepared vegetables of your choice (green beans, broccoli florets, sweet pepper cubes, baby onions, baby corn, carrots, baby marrows, mushrooms and peas).
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250ml cream
- 60ml Melrose cheese spread
- 60ml milk
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Cut a lid from the top of the pumpkin, scoop out all the seeds and fibres.
- Sprinkle the oil over the other veggies and microwave for about 10 minutes, until slightly steamed. Spoon into the hollowed pumpkin and season well with salt and pepper.
- Mix the cream, Melrose cheese spread, milk and garlic together until smooth and pour over the veggies.
- Replace the lid of the pumpkin and place the whole pumpkin into an oiled flat black pot.
- Put the lid on and place on low coals. Spoon some coals on the pot’s lid as well and cook for about 3 hours, or until the pumpkin and vegetables are cooked.
- Spoon the veggies and cooked pumpkin onto buttered couscous and enjoy.
(Recipe compliments of Melrose)
Sticky Moroccan lamb riblets
The great thing about these yummy ribs is you can do them in the oven when there’s power, or on the braai when the power is out. Serve with a green salad and sweet potato baked in foil between the coals of the fire.
Mini chicken prego rolls
If you didn’t prepare dinner or lunch in anticipation of loadshedding, these yummy mini prego rolls are a great plan! The kids will love them, and you can braai the chicken fillets on the braai or a gas braai.
Baby spinach, avo and feta salad
Serve this yummy salad with cold meats or a roast chicken on the braai.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.