Get your healthy eating habits back on track with these three quick and easy recipes.
Low Fat Chicken Salad Sandwich
Serves 2 – 3
- 2-3 pieces Low GI Seeded Brown Bread
- 250g cooked skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 80g (2 stalks) celery
- ½ apple
- 4 tbsp low fat/fat free plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs to serve
- Cut the chicken into small cubes and put into a large bowl.
- Cut the celery into similar sized slices and add to the chicken.
- Thinly slice the apple and add to the celery and chicken.
- Pour in the yoghurt and mustard and stir to combine.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread and place a slice on each plate. Share the chicken salad between the toasts and garnish with fresh herbs.
Salad on a stick
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 ripe Italian tomatoes
- 4 Israeli cucumbers
- 2 rounds feta cheese
- 4 baby gem lettuces
- 6 bamboo sticks
- Wash all the ingredients. Cut the lettuce in half, quarter the tomatoes, and cut the cucumbers into rings.
- Thread the ingredients onto skewers and serve.
Drizzle with a balsamic reduction and olive oil, and serve with ciabatta bread – it makes a great starter.
- 1 ½ cups Pouyoukas whole rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of your choice of chopped / sliced nuts
- 1 / 3 cup Pouyoukas omega seed mix
- ½ cup goji berries, or your choice of dried fruit
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbs xylitol
- 2 tbs honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- In a large bowl, combine the Pouyoukas whole rolled oats, nuts, the seed mix, cinnamon and salt, and mix well.
- Whisk the xylitol, honey or syrup, vanilla and oil together in a smaller bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and toss until the oats are thoroughly coated.
- Spread the granola evenly on a baking sheet and bake at 180°C for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Stir every 10 minutes until browned. Add the goji berries / dried fruit in the last five minutes of baking.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.