For most of us, it is not summer without the evocative smell of a smoky braai. Firing up the coals and throwing a piece of meat on the grill is usually something that’s most satisfying. However, the standard braai featuring meat and potato salad or coleslaw could be accused of being a little mundane.
To pep up your next braai, here’s some new and delicious suggestions, prepared by some of our favourite food personalities. They’re all inspired by the season’s stone fruit so you can add some zest and excitement to your outdoor cooking this festive season.
Peach, bacon and chicken sosaties
Recipe by Jenny Morris
Ingredients for the chicken
- 600g chicken breast fillets
- 1 tbs grated ginger
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Zest of 1 very yellow lemon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
Cut the chicken breast into 16 chunks and place it into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir well to coat, then leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for the peaches
- 2 large very firm cling peaches, washed
- 8 rashers of streaky bacon cut in half, lengthwise
- 4 wooden skewers that have been soaked in hot water for 40 minutes
Ingredients for the glaze
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Stir together and brush the kebabs with the glaze just before taking them off the fire.
- Cut each peach into eight wedges and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each peach wedge in a strip of bacon.
- Divide the chicken and peach wedges between the four skewers, thread alternating the chicken and peaches.
- Grill on the fire for 12-14 minutes, or until chicken is done, then brush with the glaze and cook for another minute or two.
Pork and spiced plum sosaties
Recipe by Justine Drake
Ingredients for marinade and basting
- 6 plums, depipped and chopped
- 1 small knob (3cm) ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 star anise
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- juice of 1 orange (80ml)
- 2 tbsp water
Ingredients for meat
- 2 pork neck chops (about 400g), cubed
- 2 smoked pork rashers, thickly sliced
Ingredients for salsa
- 4 plums, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- large handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- salt and milled pepper
- Place all marinade/basting sauce ingredients into a small pot and simmer to soften using a spoon to break down plums. Cook to create a jam-like consistency. Season to taste and puree if desired.
- Arrange meat in a non-metal dish and pour over marinade.
- Marinate for an hour if possible.
- Thread meat, alternating smoked and unsmoked cubes onto soaked wooden skewers.
- Braai over medium coals (or grill in the oven) basting with sauce as you go, until done to your liking.
- Meanwhile toss salsa ingredients together.
- Serve skewers with salsa on the side.
For more inspiration, visit www.juicydelicious.co.za.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.