Whipping up a weekday meal for your family doesn’t have to take hours. These quick and easy one-pot meals will save the day.
- Olive oil, for frying
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g chorizo or spiced sausage, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1½ cups rice
- 6 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan on high and fry the chicken and onion for about 8 minutes, or until browned. Season. Add the garlic, chorizo and paprika and fry for 3 minutes.
- Stir through the rice for 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (some liquid will remain).
- Stir in the peas, bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes until cooked. Stir through lemon juice and parsley. Season.
Skinny one-pot Alfredo pasta
- 6 cups low-fat milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ x 500g packet wholewheat spaghetti, broken in half
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup pecorino, finely grated
- ¾ cup ham, chopped
- Bring the milk, garlic and salt to a boil. Add the spaghetti, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often until tender (some liquid will remain).
- Add the broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir through the pecorino until melted. Mix through ham. Serve immediately.