Whipping up a weekday meal for your family doesn’t have to take hours. These quick and easy one-pot meals will save the day.
- Olive oil, for frying
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g chorizo or spiced sausage, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1½ cups rice
- 6 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan on high and fry the chicken and onion for about 8 minutes, or until browned. Season. Add the garlic, chorizo and paprika and fry for 3 minutes.
- Stir through the rice for 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (some liquid will remain).
- Stir in the peas, bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes until cooked. Stir through lemon juice and parsley. Season.
Skinny one-pot Alfredo pasta
- 6 cups low-fat milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ x 500g packet wholewheat spaghetti, broken in half
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup pecorino, finely grated
- ¾ cup ham, chopped
- Bring the milk, garlic and salt to a boil. Add the spaghetti, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often until tender (some liquid will remain).
- Add the broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir through the pecorino until melted. Mix through ham. Serve immediately.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.