Gluten-free turtle treats
*Makes about 20
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ cup smooth almond or peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g whole shelled almonds
- Black food colouring
- Beat together the flour, nut butter and syrup until combined. Shape into small balls and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Cover with plastic wrap while working to prevent the balls from drying out. Using a fork, press the balls down, creating a crisscross pattern.
- Insert 5 almonds (sharp points in) into each patty for legs and a head. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Use a toothpick to apply the black food colouring to the head of the turtle to create eyes. Store in a single layer in a cool place for up to 3 weeks.
- If you’re following a vegan diet, ensure you’re using a plant-based food colouring. Alternatively mix activated charcoal powder (available from health stores) with a little water until it forms a paste.
- Golden syrup or honey can be used instead of maple syrup.
*Makes about 30
- 115g cream cheese
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- 500g icing sugar, sifted
- Vanilla essence
- Mint extract
- Blue, yellow and black food colouring
- 100g chopped white chocolate
- 10ml sunflower oil
- Heat the cream cheese and butter on low until combined. Stir in the sugar.
- Take out 1/3 of the dough, mix through a drop of vanilla and roll into a 20cm log. Mix a drop of mint through the remaining dough, colour light blue and roll into a 20cm rectangle on baking paper.
- Wrap the vanilla log in the blue dough and cover the entire log in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour, until firm.
- Unwrap the log and cut into 3mm slices. Gently press into oval shapes. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and set aside for about 2 days, or until dry.
- Melt the chocolate and oil in the microwave for about 1½ minutes. Spoon into a piping bag with a small, round nozzle and pipe wings onto the sides of each patty.
- Squeeze out the remaining chocolate, remelt and colour yellow. Spoon into a clean piping bag and pipe a triangular beak and 2 feet onto each patty.
- Squeeze out the remaining chocolate, remelt and colour black. Spoon into a clean piping bag and pipe 2 dollops for eyes onto each patty. Set aside to harden.