There’s almost nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread early in the morning. Make your own bread for breakfast or lunch with these easy bread recipes.
- 3½ cups bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 10g packet instant dry yeast
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- Milk, for brushing
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Make a well in the centre and add the water. Mix until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour-dusted surface and knead for about 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough down and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 13cm x 23cm loaf tin. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Gently brush the dough with milk and bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool before slicing.
Quick mix brown bread
- 750ml bran-rich self-raising wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 500ml tub buttermilk
- 3 tbsp sunflower and/or sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an 11cm x 28cm loaf tin with baking paper. Combine the flour, salt and buttermilk until just combined. Spoon into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle with seeds and bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool before slicing.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.