There’s almost nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread early in the morning. Make your own bread for breakfast or lunch with these easy bread recipes.
- 3½ cups bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 10g packet instant dry yeast
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- Milk, for brushing
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Make a well in the centre and add the water. Mix until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour-dusted surface and knead for about 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough down and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 13cm x 23cm loaf tin. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Gently brush the dough with milk and bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool before slicing.
Quick mix brown bread
- 750ml bran-rich self-raising wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 500ml tub buttermilk
- 3 tbsp sunflower and/or sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an 11cm x 28cm loaf tin with baking paper. Combine the flour, salt and buttermilk until just combined. Spoon into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle with seeds and bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool before slicing.