Being picky is a normal toddler quirk, but there are ways to work around this and ensure your child gets adequate nutrition.
- Offer a nibble tray using bite-size portions.
- Include dips like carrot dunked into almond butter or toast fingers and cottage cheese.
- Use a kiddie-friendly knife for your toddler to add a healthy topping to rice cakes or vegetables.
- Disguise disliked foods by slipping grated or diced vegetables into your toddler’s favourite foods like bolognaise.
- Cut sandwiches into fun shapes to make them more appealing.
- Small, frequent portions help to stabilise blood sugar levels and mood.
- Give your toddler a shelf in the fridge with his favourite foods and allow him to choose from that selection.
Top 5 must-have foods you should include in your child’s diet
Protein builds the body, so it’s essential to get some into your toddler’s diet. Try disguising it amongst the carbohydrates your toddler loves.
Fish is an important part of the diet as it’s high in brain-building omega-3 fats. If your toddler refuses hake, try yellowtail. Slice it, roll it in some egg and almond flour, and bake.
Avocado is one of nature’s superfoods, packed full of good fats. If your toddler refuses it, add a little to a smoothie.
These are wonderfully nutrient dense. If your toddler refuses broccoli, try spinach or cauliflower. Stews, meatballs, bolognaise and muffins are great places to hide greens.
Wholegrains are packed full of B vitamins and fibre. From the start, avoid brining white, refined foods into your home. White bread, much like sugar, is addictive.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.