Friday night dinner sorted! By Margie Els-Burger and Nomvuselelo Mncube
Struggling to get your fussy eater to try new things? Make mealtimes fun for your toddler with this clever hidden veggie porky pasta.
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken or veg stock
For the porky pasta
- 500g wholewheat spaghetti
- 12 slices sandwich ham
- 12 black olive slices
- 6 red pepper strips
- Grated cheddar, to serve
How to make the porky pasta
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat and sauté the onion, garlic, oregano, celery, carrots and pepper for about 15 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Blend until smooth. Season with salt.
- For the pasta, cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain. Mix through the sauce and divide between 6 plates. Top each with a slice of ham.
- Trim each of the remaining 6 slices of ham into a circle and two triangular ears. Cut 2 x 1cm round nostrils from each circle and place each on the pasta as a nose. Top each pasta with 2 ears. Add 2 olive slices to each as eyes and a pepper strip for a mouth. Serve with cheddar to sprinkle over.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.