Getting the balance right with lunch can be a challenge. These quick and easy recipes will ensure that your tot gets a balanced midday meal. By Hannah Kaye
Just when you’ve recovered from the breakfast rush, it’s time to start thinking about lunch. Ensuring a balanced midday selection can mean the difference between a calm afternoon and a horrible tantrum at 4pm. Try this yummy recipes – they’re quick and easy. We promise!
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked or canned
- 75ml fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tsp paprika (optional)
- ¼ cup or more water
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Place in a blender with the lemon juice, tahini, garlic, oil and paprika and blend well.
- Add water as needed to form a smooth paste.
- Keep in an airtight container for five days.
Veggie packed lamb meatballs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 courgette
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 500g lamb mince
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and sauté garlic and onions until translucent.
- Add carrots and tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Place courgettes and parsley in a food processor and chop until fine. Squeeze out excess moisture. Set aside in large bowl.
- Add mince, onion mix and remaining ingredients into the bowl. Use your hands to form into balls.
- Return to pan and cook for 10 minutes until browned on all sides and cooked through.
These mini frittatas are filled with good fats, as well as vitamins D, E and B to boost immunity.
- 60g Cheddar cheese
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup lightly steamed broccoli florets
- 100g salmon, drained
- Butter for greasing
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon 1 1tbsp of salmon mixture into each.
- Bake for 7 – 10 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool and freeze until needed.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.